Sunday, January 13, 2008

Missions where you are.

Faith and I are following in the steps of our friend Matt, who blazed a trail to Galicia years before we arrived. He and his family have since returned to the states. We would not be where we are today if it were not for his family's faithful journey to live and minister in Santiago for six years. His wisdom and help have been a very significant part of our journey. I introduce him to explain why I'm posting this link. He has a blog that I enjoy reading, and is one source for some things I re-post here.

The link above is a thought that really struck me. When we were in the Chicago burbs for 8 years we had the joy of meeting folks of many different nationalities and backgrounds. It was a great blessing to live in such a large metropolitan area. It's not just the cities anymore - the burbs have plenty of immigrants. If you take the time to get to know some of them it is incredibly rewarding, and can really help expand your view of the world outside of the US. His post got me thinking about how much more I might have been able to do had I lived more purposefully in regards to reaching out to immigrants in my area.

Not that we don't have that same opportunity here. We rub shoulders with as many immigrants here as locals at the moment. Faith especially has been connecting with a few immigrant women here. One Brazilian woman has a child at the same school as Brennan - she lived in New Jersey for 8 years, and now lives here. Faith has also connected with a group for immigrant women through the local Red Cross. My daily Spanish class is also populated completely by foreigners (of course!). On the whole it is fun, and interesting. It can also be both funny and frustrating to communicate with classmates where our only shared language is our limited Spanish skills.

No comments: