Sunday, December 2, 2007

Human Tetris

Every day, at least one time, Ryan asks "Watch Jap-o-nese please?" By which he means he wants to watch this video.



After much prodding by my wife to post this funny clip, I have finally given in. The boys first got attached to this particular video when their Jio-jio (uncle) Clement e-mailed us a link to the video.

The funny part about Ryan asking to watch "Japonese" is that at first we didn't know which Japanese video he wanted to watch. Was it the silly engineering-type video that I can only describe as being "kind of like those big domino things, but not really because it's with marbles"? Or was it the traditional Japanese drummer video that came in a Paste Magazine DVD Sampler that Ryan inexplicably got attached to? Or was he asking about one of our favorite Strongbad e-mails where he talks about being a Japanese cartoon? So - as if those three were not enough to be confused by, he now has three more of these Human Tetris videos available on YouTube, as well as my personal favorite 'Jap-o-nese' (sorry Strongbad). Once again, words really can't explain this, but I'm sure you'll at least smile, if not laugh if you choose to watch.



Finally, since I'm on a roll, I thought I'd add one last laugh. This one is courtesy of our friend Jung who recently finished a round the world trip. It doesn't fit neatly into the Japanese groupings above, but the picture was taken in China, so, being on the same massive continent is close enough for me. I can't think of a better caption than his own caption from facebook.
can I get a "joss-stick hot nature roast chicken fortress"?

He had a number of pictures of funny translations into English. A close second in my book was the "Green grass is afraid of your trample." sign.

3 comments:

Larry said...

I have to wonder if the Japanese consider some of this stuff to be as goofy or bizarre as we do. Or if American culture has something about it that's as bizarre to them while not being so bizarre to us. For example, "professional" wrestling.

none said...

My favorite mistranlsated Chinese to English sign in China: Dongda Hospital for Anus and Intestine Disease Beijing (Hospital of Proctology)...good stories dude, hope you guys are well!

Matthew Reed said...

I saw these late tonite... it was hard not to wake Lina up with my contained laughter. These are great fun. Reminds me of that TV show they had in Spain in the 80s growing up called "Yellow Humor" where two spaniards would ad-lib voice overs for these crazy japanese shows with silly wall climing, human-tetris-like, falling in the water antics. Thanks for sharing.