Friday, November 9, 2007

Impossible Rumors Could Be True

"Wind in the Net"

These days my heart can be black as a raven's wing.
But soon I'll run full circle, let the day begin.
Will you whisper in my ear?
Exchange my small coin fears
For the only rumor I hope is true.

My grandfather told me once, "Stand close to me."
The day he returned to the earth I feared the world would freeze.
Lowered in the cold, cold ground,
His gentle voice still the sweetest sound,
Please let the rumors be true.

Could have been asleep
But I swore that I saw you walking on a stone still sea.

The days, they will come, the days they'll go.
At times they'll make as much sense as a summer snow.
Catch the wind in a net,
Lest we forget
Impossible rumors could be true.

Could have been asleep but I swore that I saw you walking.
Could have been dreaming but I swore that I saw you walking on a stone still sea.

Now it's the fall, killing time in this holy place.
Suddenly everything is spilling with your grace.
Will you whisper in my ear?
Exchange my small coin fears
For the only rumor I hope is true.

Could have been dreaming...
Could have been asleep but I swore that I saw you walking.
Could have been dreaming but I swore that I saw you walking on a stone still sea.



This is one of my favorite songs, by the Harrod and Funck. I have always really connected with the expression of hope and longing in this song. For me it is an expression of my faith - that I am looking to exchange my fears for 'impossible rumors.' There is also this sense of darkness and mourning, yet within this, grace springs out unexpectedly, and everyday places become holy.

Obviously, with the author writing about the death of his grandfather, this song takes on further meaning for me with the passing of my own grandpa today. Songs like this give voice to the thoughts and emotions that are sometimes almost impossible to distill into words. My hope is that you too will be moved and encouraged by this song as I am. In the honor and memory of Grandpa.

No comments: