Saturday, October 6, 2007

Boats


I have been surprised by my desire to take pictures since arriving here. Typically in our family, Faith is the photographer. But I have felt drawn to try and capture at least some of what I'm experiencing on film. I'm not sure if this is some subconscious need to process the life change we are experiencing, or what. Regardless, I'll try to start sharing more photos here.

One thing that has captured my imagination are boats. We live near a tidal river - here it's called a ria. It's a freshwater river that is not that large, and sits in a river bed far to wide for it. Each high tide fills the river with salt water and makes the entire body of water much wider. It really is very cool. At any rate, in our ria, there are a number of these little fishing boats. Many of them old, some of them painted in lively colors. Some are of questionable sea-worthiness - even to my midwestern eyes.


At low tide these little boats rest on the exposed growth and rocks.

These mostly sunken boats infer more usefulness in some unknown past. But they retain some sense of quiet dignity resting in such a beautiful spot.

Each boat is small, and uniquely made. They are very close to the Atlantic Ocean, but not very fit for ocean travel.

While these boats are pretty obviously have year of wear, many proudly display fresh paint and bright colors. As if they are struggling with all their might to remain not only useful, but pleasant.

Entering a new culture, at times I feel a bit adrift and perhaps a bit beat up occasionally. But I find incentive to not only try to be useful, but to try my best to put the best and brightest of paints on to remain attractive. I find myself looking forward to times when the tide is out so I can rest for those precious moments, and soak in the environment around me.

I wish you could experience them with me, but I hope these pictures do some justice to how captivating these simple boats are.

No comments: